There are lots of essay types that students may face in school or college, for example, descriptive essay. While they vary by specific writing principles, the same general approach can often be used. Nevertheless, authors should account for the specifics to demonstrate they understand what each assignment is about.
A descriptive essay is a common task a student has to be prepared for. Generally, it means digging into a complex original work and focusing on certain aspects of it. To succeed with this kind of paper, you have to realize the big picture and describe it for your readers in a concise and clear way. As such, the task requires not only good understanding of the subject matter but also analyzing skills and vivid imagination. The ideas of the descriptive essay vary from soccer game, sunset, grandfather and nightmare to first airplane ride, wedding ceremony, valentine’s day, high school life and Hong Kong. Knowing some major points will help.
What is a Good Descriptive Essay
With this type of assignment, it is important to write with your prospect reader in mind. While some academic assignments may require focusing more on data or specific details of the original work, good descriptive essay is about helping your readers get a general idea of the work. That said, the best role you may play is that of a presenter or conference speaker. Avoid overloading a reader with figures; instead, make sure you explain the general concept in a clear and easy-to-perceive way. Here is what you should include before you start writing a descriptive essay:
- Try to convey the experience you had reading the work in subject. Appeal to senses rather than logic of your readers. Tell them what feelings and emotions they can expect from exploring the work.
- Provide comparisons and analogies which can boost getting insight.
- While the abundance of figures is not typically appropriate in this kind of paper, you sometimes will hardly manage without them at all. This is because you should be specific, so writing only general phrases is not a good idea. Including some precise facts can make a difference.
- Another tool to help your readers catch the idea fast is a solid and consistent structure of the text. Put out what you have to say in a way that highlights the most relevant points.
Tips on Writing a Descriptive Essay
It is not enough to know what a good descriptive essay should contain. The step of the process that most students struggle with is writing itself. Even if you know the basics and have a deep insight into the subject matter discussed in the underlying original work, conveying your reasons and feelings to the audience is a real challenge. This will be a much easier task if, prior to getting down to writing, you take your time and put your thoughts together in an ultimately structured form. You will be surprised to find out how this hassle-free preparation can pay off with less labor and a more consistent result. This is the purpose of descriptive essay.
- Once you have a paper outline in your head, put it on paper. Having the sheet before your eyes during the writing process will save you time and mental energy as well as help avoid diverting from the course.
- Now, you can proceed to writing itself; with a predefined outline at hand, it is deemed to go seamlessly. Avoid such a common mistake as underestimating the opening section of a paper and providing some general phrases instead.
- In fact, introduction plays a crucial role in terms of the resulting success. It should catch a reader and make them proceed to the body part.
- Similarly, provide a solid conclusion, as this is your last chance to persuade your teacher you have done a really good job and deserve praise.
- To make sure your paper delivers the ultimate experience, reread it to filter any typos, errors, mistakes or inconsistencies.
Proper Descriptive Essay Format
As an academic type of paper, the descriptive essay is expected to be compliant with most rules and guidelines commonly applied to students’ works. First and foremost, the requirement includes proper structuring. More specifically, such basic sections should be in place as Introduction, the main part of the text and Conclusion. Items number one and three should remain concise yet informative, so they do not provide much room for delivering your thoughts.
On the other hand, the body of the essay is the part where you can demonstrate all your writing talents and understanding the subject in question. Still, for the maximum result, it is helpful to keep the TEEL paragraph model; we explain the acronym below. Follow these guidelines when putting your reasons and thoughts on paper.
- T, the first letter of the model name, orders to start every essay paragraph of the main section with a topic message rather than with a general phrase. As a result, a reader will always know what you are going to discuss in the following sentences. This is an important consideration because the body part of the paper can be quite long and consist, subject to applicable assignment requirements, of multiple paragraphs, each delivering its own idea.
- E, the second letter, stands for ‘explanation’ and means that, once a paragraph’s topic is stated, the following sentences are to reveal it and provide some details.
- E, the third letter, is the abbreviation for ‘evidence’. It reminds us that our statements are to be supported with solid evidence. This is where a reasonable amount of figures and facts can be provided to make the paper trustworthy.
- L, the last letter of the acronym, means ‘linking’ the last sentence of every paragraph to the first one. Consider this as a mini-conclusion to recap a part of the discussion.
The Bottom Line
A quite common assignment, descriptive essay is a serious challenge for every student. Knowing writing basics applicable to this type of work is what can really make the difference. While you might have met many of the above recommendations with other academic papers too, it is demonstrating that you know the specifics that can bring some extra points to your favor. Don’t overlook this chance to stand out against your peers.
To be on the safe side, consider commissioning your assignment to our professional writing agency. Whenever you struggle with a topic or are unsure whether you will be able to meet the deadline, this is a secure option that works in any circumstances. All you have to do is to place an order defining the requirements, and we will do the rest.